Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Grape (Bubblegum) Jelly













In the glassed-in porch is a grape vine which was planted around 1944 by Ann and Rod Haig-Brown.

The plant grows in the ground outside, then twists its way through a removed pane of glass, and crawls inside the upper reaches of said porch with a thick, woody arm.

Leaves and tendrils wind around the windows and ceiling, dripping with bunches of deep purple fruit.

This is a Concord variety, called "Campbell's Early".

My research reveals the naivete of North American farmers; because Campbell's Early gets its dark purple colour long before being ripe, it was often picked too soon so lost favour amongst grape growers.

Too bad.

When these ripened, they smelled sooooooo sweet and succulent. I kept wondering who was making Kool-Aid, or where the grape bubble-gum was, because the sweet scent wafted gently through the house, creating many sweet dreams.

And so, dreaming of the very best jelly, I harvested.

Now, you may recall a previous post of mine, re: my jam making skills, or lack thereof (sigh).

I was determined to do right this time, so carefully put together the ingredients, measuring and planning, and scheduling my time.

Apples have much of the required pectin for thickening, so I used Transparent Apples from the orchard here.

I also used some 'natural' pectin from the health food store. I was on my way!

Jars, lids and rings were counted, washed and sterilized, labels created, calculations made, ingredients meted out... I was ready.

Colours and aromas were abundant, and the boiling began.

After the appointed amount of time, I began the "sheet test", upon which the decision is made when the jelly is ready, or thick enough, or jelled sufficiently.

A metal soup spoon is dipped into the boiling fruit then held up to see how the running drops meld together, or whether they even do.
One is waiting for the last 2 drops to run together and hold as a single, large drop, and stay. That is, not drip off the spoon.

How very scientific!

Easy, right?

The appointed amount of time came and went, then came and went again.

Still my spoon was not holding the 'sheeting' action as described, and so I boiled it more!

*note: of course I was using new spoons each time, especially after licking the bubble-gum flavoured jell after each test. Running out of spoons, I began washing them after each test*

Finally, a bit frustrated, I made the decision to jar it up, whether it was thick or not.
This time the spoon was held over the sink instead of the steaming pot of fruit, and the sheet test proved positive!

Aha!
I had been holding the spoon over the steam, not allowing it to cool a bit to thicken the drops!

Why don't these instructions specify?!

In the end, I made a second batch, which did not jell as well either.

I don't care if it's a bit runny; that makes it more 'spreadable'.

For sure, I will not be entering any jellies into any fall fairs any time soon, tho that's all right; they are tasty and naturally sweet, and still smell like bubble-gum / Kool-Aid. Yum!
Sandra

1 comment:

Joan said...

have truely enjoyed looking through'
the pages here thank you so much for a great place to see and to visit joanjay