Friday, June 19, 2009

Bambi

You might think this is a great photo of a tree! But look closer...

Yesterday, I spotted another brown movement on the drive just below the kitchen window, and, once again, a fawn was passing through the driveway. Alone, it seemed unsure of which way to go, turning one way then the other. Finally it literally tip-toed into the path in to the glade. Yes, tip-toed. Putting its head lower, as if sniffing the air, then gingerly putting out a foot (hoof?) and slowly putting the other front foot out, one slow step, then another, as if sneaking up on the pathway, it finally disappeared beyond the hedge and into the glade.

I grabbed my camera and quietly went out the squeaky door and walked up the driveway, where I took these photos. The fawn, about 2' feet high, seemed uncertain and nervous and obviously alone. No idea where Momma was, and little fawn turned to go into the wood beyond. I quickly left so as not to scare it onto the road.
This is one of three fawns I've seen lately. I believe the ladies, Buttercup and Clover, are the new mothers, tho it's hard to tell one from another.
I'm looking forward to getting some photos of the 2 and 3 year old bucks which have been striding through here lately. They still have velvet on their new antlers and the pair I've seen move quickly, heading either to or from the river.
Sandra

No comments: