Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy 45th Anniversary, Don & Sandy!



Don and Sandy, from interior Washington state, were here for 2 nights celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary. They were given this as a gift from the Methow (pronounced 'mettow') Valley Fly Fishing Club, Washington, of which Don's a very active member.
From the moment they arrived, I was impressed by Don's knowledge and enthusiasm for Roddy and his writing. Thus far I've been honest about what I do not know on the subject of the Haig-Browns, and Don felt duty-bound in pressing me into that end of service! Many times I repeated, "I don't know, but I'll find out" and no doubt he'll hold me to it - won't you Don?
Once again I saw a passion in the eyes of a fisherman who held a Roderick Haig-Brown book in his hands as a young man. I'm beginning to understand the force which held the reader of Silver or Panther or Measure of the Year and shaped a young man's dreams and vision and career to come.
Don looked at me several times with that force as it emanated from his heart and soul. He told me of visiting the property here 5+ years ago, before it was a Bed & Breakfast, and he had walked down the formal lawn to the riverbank, believing that was where Rod himself would have fished. Don had stood there and wept, having made this pilgrimage of sorts and finally seeing what Rod would have seen - and loved.
Don and I and his wife Sandy spoke at length on the reasons for fishing, specifically fly-fishing, and the reasoning for its impact on the soul of a man, or woman. We all agree that it's so much more than just catching a fish. There's that meditative sense, the cool embrace of fresh air, seeing places which are gifts to see or seeing them at rare times of day, standing in the pulse of the earths' circulatory system, smelling rain or sun, and knowing where your food really comes from. Oh, and once in a while you bring that food home.
We also spoke of the skill and practice in fly-fishing, something I'm beginning to look forward to (I've only practiced casting a couple of times) and we talked of how not to be a fly-fishing snob and instead, being aware - aware of what it takes to acquire a skill, and all that the word 'skill' implies.
On another note, I apparently had on my intuitive antennae and sent them to the 'perfect' places for meals and other entertainment, i.e. our Museum @ Campbell River.
I'm delighted with having met this lovely, gracious couple who make such scintillating conversation. Thanks, you 2, for being here. Have a safe and enjoyable journey home to that beautiful place in the mountains. And, Sandy, "Thank You!" Wotta sweetheart!
hugs to you both
Sandra

No comments: