Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Garden Singing

Plants are growing
Guests are coming & going
Fawns are showing
Learners are just a learning
Can't you hear the birds a singing
Trying to learn that song!

The veg patch has its ups and downs. Perhaps my thumb is more purple or blue than green... one eggplant has succumbed to something, and I think it got a cucumber as well (talk about Invasion of the Plant Snatchers!) - several lines of carrot seedlings have mysteriously disappeared (hmmm... I reiterate...) - a row of unnamed Chinese vegetable has gone south as well, and a whole 2 rows of volunteer potatoes have sprung up! Luckily, those last ones have sprung up in the last unweeded, unplanted corner.
Hey, wait a minute! Do potatoes eat other veggies?!

Couple of new items in the veg patch: I framed the tripod of tangled walnut branches (see photo) and planted a fave of mine, nasturtiums, underneath. Soon the whole thing will be climbing with them!
I know that's poor grammar, but I liked it, just like my little song at the beginning. It's a bit of a take on an old song with lines like,
"...bells are ringin'
Secretary's singin'
Preacher's justa preachin'
Can't ya hear the sisters shoutin'
Tryna learn that song..."

The bush beans are going great guns, and I replaced that orange plastic fencing along the snow peas with good old wire (see photo).
My wonderful big brother, Paul, planted some small sunflower plants for me today as well; I made lunch.
Sandra

No comments: