Sunday, June 7, 2009

Dear Daisy Deer

It's decided then; the doe who is so friendly is now Daisy... Daisy Deer, no matter how many buttercups she eats, and I'll tell you why.
While I gardened all day yesterday in the veg patch, Daisy sauntered alongside the fence, then meandered over to the shade of the firs & maples, then wandered back toward me, then slowly disappeared out the drive. Ergo, no fawn, and I found myself calling her Daisy all day. So, that's her name.

But Baby butts in...
While reading the paper over coffee at the kitchen table this morning, I thought I spied a small brown dog bouncing through the driveway right alongside the house; I was wrong.
It was the new fawn! Bounce, bounce, bounce, one way, then bounce, bounce, bounce, the other way, then back, then big bounces back to the path and into the glade. I went outside to peer into the glade, and saw the little one nursing with mom - who I automatically addressed as Buttercup. She was nervous. Seems a bouncing little baby is a handful, er, hoof-ful (sp?)... anyway, not wanting to disturb breakfast or scare them off toward the road, I left them to the cool and shade. A few hours later, I did notice both of them now bouncing around in the upper part of the driveway, and scooting back to the glade; someone was returning from walking their dog in one of the upper paths. Let's hope Buttercup is careful to show rambunctious Baby how to cross the road.

No pic's today. Many B & B guests tonight, and lots of drop-ins today to survey the grounds, both for Sunday afternoons and future weddings... looks like it'll be a beautiful summer full of brides!
Sandra

No comments: