Friday, August 21, 2009

Texans At The Door

When they knocked on the door, it was a late sultry afternoon in August. They looked a little wilted and all seemed a wee bit flaccid.

After inspecting the rooms, a brief family meeting, and realizing there wasn't much else up the road, they each took a bag upstairs.

Almost immediately, the boys and their dad left, heading off for a walk while mom, Mary, had a nap.

A half hour later, over a glass of wine, she and I were laughing and chatting, like old chums. Mary brightened considerably, confessing that, like myself, she hardly indulges in alcohol - though apparently this was hitting a good spot!

It wasn't until much later when her husband, Phil, proposed a toast to his wife, wishing her "Happy Birthday!" Aha!

I made ice cream for all of us, and we indulged heartily - lots of smacking lips, mmm's, and wonderment over the Clodhoppers in the dessert.

Zack, 14, was mesmerized by the ice cream making process I use and then told me of his cooking exploits. It was great to hear of a young man so interested in the culinary arts. Both he and his brother, Eric, were friendly, interested, and interesting!

This photo might not show it, but these young men had the wonder of the world in their eyes, along with parents who were calm, understated and patient. I compared their parenting to my brother and sister-in-law, who I think are the best parents in the whole wide world.

Mary turned the same age as me (no, I'm not telling). When they were leaving, she brought out the exact same camera, and we seemed to speak from such familiar experiences and toward similar vision.

And while not born Texans - though that's where they currently reside - I'll always think of them as such.
I hope the whole Vancouver Island exploration, including the whales, was the best holiday!
Come back again please.
Sandra

No comments: